How to create Universal Analytics property INSTEAD of Google Analytics 4(GA4) property?
What is the problem?
Let’s say you have a new website and decided to use Google Analytics in it.
When you click “+Create Property” in GA admin and follow all instructions, you may realize that you created a Google Analytics 4 property.
But what if you need Universal Analytics property instead?
Should I use Google Analytics 4 OR Universal Analytics?
If you are reading this in 2021-2022, there are a few options:
Option 1: Use Universal Analytics and Google Analytics 4 at the same time.
Option 2: Use Universal Analytics only.
Google forces us to use Google Analytics 4.
And this is a great tool, but with huge updates(in comparison with Universal Analytics):
- Different data collection model(“Sessions-centered” in UA vs. “Events-centered” in GA4)
- Differences in Dimensions and Metrics(forget about Bounce Rate in GA4)
- Significant changes in reports
- Consistent updates in Google Analytics 4(new features releases)
So, for now, it is a bad idea to rely on Google Analytics 4 only(although this is a great tool).
How can I create Universal Analytics property?
Step 1: Open Google Analytics “Admin”(bottom-left corner)
Step 2: Click “+ New Property” in the middle column
Step 3: Click “Show Advanced Options”
Step 4: Click “Create a Universal Analytics property”
Step 5: Choose one of the options:
- “Create both a Google Analytics 4 and a Universal Analytics property” OR
- “Create a Universal Analytics property only”
Step 6: Finish the configuration, depending on the chosen option.
Don’t be scared to create a new Google Analytics property – you still have a choice between Google Analytics 4 and old-fashioned Universal Analytics!